Public Records Request
RTC provides access to public records under the Washington State Public Disclosure Act (RCW 42.56). All records maintained by RTC are available for public inspection unless specifically exempted by law. You are entitled to access public records, under reasonable conditions.
In most cases, you do not have to explain why you want the records. However, specific information may be necessary to process requests. Occasionally, RTC may require further information to establish if disclosure would violate certain provisions of law.
RTC provides access to existing public records in its possession but is not required to collect information or organize data to create a record not existing at the time of the request.
You may request public documents and records by letter, email, hand delivery, or fax. Each request should include the following information:
- Date and time of request
- Name of requestor
- Address of requestor
- Contact information (telephone number and e-mail address)
- Identification of the requested public records
- If requesting any lists of individuals (natural persons), signed certification that the list will not be used in connection with a commercial business or profit-oriented venture (RCW 42.56.070(9))
Submit your request to:
Regional Transportation Council
Public Records Request
P.O. Box 1366
1300 Franklin Street, 4th Floor
Vancouver, Washington 98666-1366
RTC staff will respond, within five business days of receipt, by either:
- Providing the record(s) for inspection and/or copying of the record after payment of any applicable fees.
- Acknowledging receipt of the request and providing a reasonable estimate of the time necessary to respond based on the need to:
- Request clarification of an unclear request
- Locate and assemble the records requested
- Notify persons or agencies affected by the request
- Determine whether any of the records are exempt from disclosure
- Request a deposit before duplication of records
- Denying the request. If a request is denied, a written statement shall be provided to the requestor of the specific exemption authorizing the withholding of the record (or part) and a brief explanation of how the exemption applies to the record withheld.
There may be fees associated with costs connected to copying public records, postage or delivery costs. You will be informed of these fees when staff responds.