Human Services Transportation Plan
Development of a Coordinated Public Transit - Human Services Transportation Plan (CPT-HSTP) was first required by the 2005 federal transportation act, SAFETEA-LU, with the intent of identifying transportation needs and solutions and thereby improving transportation services for people with disabilities, seniors, youth, individuals with lower incomes and those in rural locations who cannot provide transportation for themselves.
The region’s first HSTP for Clark, Skamania and Klickitat Counties was adopted in January 2007 and subsequent updates were adopted in December 2010, December 2014 and November 2018. The current HSTP was adopted by the RTC Board of Directors on November 1, 2022.
Development of a CPT-HSTP can help to ensure communities coordinate transportation resources provided through multiple federal and state programs. A coordinated plan can help to enhance transportation access, minimize duplication of services, and encourage the most cost-effective transportation possible.
The HSTP development process brings together service providers, agencies that distribute funds, service users, and the community at-large to improve special needs transportation throughout the region.
HSTP and Funding Programs
Development of a HSTP is a condition for receiving funding through a statewide competitive Consolidated Public Transportation Grant program. WSDOT’s Consolidated Grant application process combines applications for state and federal public transportation grants. Applicants for WSDOT’s public transportation grant program are required to participate in the HSTP planning process with their local RTPO. Through the consolidated program, WSDOT distributes a variety of state and federal grants to support public transportation programs. These grant programs include:
- Federal Transit Administration:
- Section 5310 Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities,
- Section 5311 Rural,
- Section 5339 Capital Funding for Bus and Bus Facilities
- State Rural Mobility Competitive
- State Paratransit / Special Needs Competitive for non-profit agencies.
From the needs identified in the HSTP process, human services transportation providers develop projects to submit to WSDOT for funding consideration through the state’s consolidated grant program.
RTC, as the MPO for the Clark County region and RTPO for the three-county region of Clark, Skamania and Klickitat, works with local stakeholders and human service transportation providers to develop the CPT-HSTP for the region and to identify project rankings. Development of the CPT-HSTP is coordinated through stakeholder groups in each county, and through the Klickitat County Transportation Policy Committee, Skamania County Transportation Policy Committee and the Regional Transportation Advisory Committee in Clark County. Project rankings are decided by the Accessible Transportation Coalition Initiative (ATCI) and endorsed by the RTC Board of Directors.
2022 CPT-HSTP: Plan Outline
The 2022 CPT-HSTP update for the three counties in the region includes the following elements to meet state and federal requirements:
- Contact Information
- Title VI and ADA Statements
- Conducting and Documenting Community Outreach: to determine transportation needs and gaps in service
- Regional Context: maps and demographic data to describe the region
- Assessment of Transportation Services: description of existing transportation services and resources, current mobility projects in the region, emergency management planning, transportation gaps, and unmet needs for people with special transportation needs
- COVID-19: note lasting changes due the pandemic anticipated in the region
- Strategies and Activities Identified to Address Gaps: strategies and/or activities identified through the planning process
- Regional Priorities for Implementation: description of process and criteria to prioritize projects
- Ongoing Coordination: ongoing coordination efforts between social service providers and transportation providers for 2022-2026
Related RTC Board Meeting and Supporting CPT-HSTP Materials
1-page List of Questions, 143KB